Ellis Law, P.C. New York State Personal Injury Lawyers New York State Personal Injury Lawyers
Free Injury Answerline® 24/7
1-800-LAW-7777 Toll Free
1-800-3-ABOGADO Se Habla Español


Read the life-changing story of one client for whom we obtained a $9.6 Million settlement in just over one year.

Learn more

Breaking News!



Ellis Law Clients Participate in $4.85 Billion and $1.2 Billion Drug Suit Settlements

Drug Lawsuit Alerts! : Click here to learn about drug lawsuits currently being investigated by Ellis Law

LETTER FROM MR. ELLIS to Injury Victims. Click here

Ellis Law Mobile Office will come to you 24/7

What can you do if you think your loved one is a victim of abuse?

The last thing any child wants to find out is that his or her mother or father has been abused in a nursing home. You choose the facility you do because you trust the people there. You believe they'll treat your loved ones like family. That, sadly, isn't always the way things work out.

What can you do if you suspect nursing home abuse taking place where your parent resides? Here are a few things to remember.

If you make a written complaint, it may go to the state

Sometimes, when something needs to be done quickly, getting complaints in writing is the way to go. Complaints are supposed to be relayed to the state. This can also spur the director or others to take immediate steps to resolve issues that have come up in the home.

Don't be afraid to speak up quickly

Talk to the nursing home director if you believe there is anything inappropriate happening in the nursing home. Just bringing up a concern can start an investigation and help you know that the facility takes your concerns seriously.

Follow the right channels to make a report

First, talk to the person who you think is causing a problem. Maybe you think the nurse is a little too rough or that you'd like to see the medications for your loved one delivered in a timelier manner. Talk to the nurses and make sure you make yourself clear about the problems you're seeing.

If this doesn't work, talk to the supervisor or home's administrator. Finally, make a written complaint and contact your state ombudsman. Your attorney can help you take steps to keep your loved one safe while handling the legal implications of nursing home abuse.

Source: Aging Care, "What to Do If You Suspect Abuse in Your Parent's Retirement Home," Carol Bradley Bursack, accessed Nov. 24, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Ellis Law, P.C. Office Locations

Email us

Albany Office
1707 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12205

Toll Free: 800-529-7777
Toll Free: 800-322-6423
Albany Law Office Map

Principal Office
2076 South Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Toll Free: 800-529-7777
Toll Free: 800-322-6423
Poughkeepsie Law Office Map

New York Office
39 Broadway
New York, NY 10006

Toll Free: 800-529-7777
Toll Free: 800-322-6423
Map & Directions

Fishkill Office
Routes 9 & 52
Fishkill, NY 12524

Toll Free: 800-529-7777
Toll Free: 800-322-6423
Map & Directions

Free Injury Answerline ®